Thursday, June 25, 2009

"Self Portrait #1"

14 x 11 oil on stretched canvas

my very first ever self-portrait@!!! - since i didn't study art in school...(actually i'm a registered nurse..).. i was never required to do a self-portrait in school - something i'm sure all formally trained artists have done. one of my favorite artists, carol marine, posted her portrait and talked about something called david lobenberg's self-portrait "love in" and i wanted to give it a try. we had a group paint-out today in my friend jane's back yard - the lighting wasn't dramatic - i tried to stay in the shade pretty much since it was over 90!!! but little by little i think i captured myself.. sort of..with the girls' help, of course- along the way, my nose was too long, my face was too wide, my eyes were too close, my face was too long - so hard to get a likeness, especially while holding a hand mirror in 90+ degree heat!! i didn't paint in my bifocals which of course i was wearing..maybe i'll add them later when i have time - we have to get ready to pack and head north to visit friends in michigan for the weekend. no posting til next week! -

3 comments:

  1. Susie
    Hi I am also a georgia artist and really enjoy following your blog. I think the hardest painting to do is a self portrait because we are our own worst critiques. Yet your self portrait has inspired me to do one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. diane - i'm so glad you were inspired - everyone thinks i painted myself way too young...but i guess that's where artistic license comes in..no? where in goergia do you paint?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie,
    I just found your blog (7/21/09). I'm enjoying all of your paintings, but I recognized you the moment I scrolled your face up on my screen. This self portrait is great.
    Barbara Fox

    ReplyDelete